Thursday, June 22, 2023

Thots on Titan sub & untimely death

 

(648 words)




I blame my years as a young newspaper reporter for why I spend so much time thinking about untimely death.


Back then it was a near daily smorgasbord of reporting on the often violent expirations of hapless Tennesseans. They’d accidentally steer jalopies off cliffs, stumble into the rusty wood chipper, and drunkenly fail to exit the bed after the last cigarette began to singe the sheets.


And after I’d finished each story I’d in my mind put it in one of two categories: “How I’d want to go,” or “Not how I’d want to go.”


So, to me, the death to which I most aspire is to die peacefully in my sleep of multiple gunshot wounds.


It sounds on the surface contradictory. It is not.


See, the first bullet may jar you awake, and you’d be briefly pissed. But bullets four through six will shut your lights out with minimal disruption.


Sleeping next to a snoring spouse is more annoying.


At least, I guess, in the short run.


So that’s how I’d like to go.


What can I say? You’ve got your bucket list. I’ve got my kick-the-bucket-list.


One way I do I not want to go is right now being played out in the chilly waters of the North Atlantic. 


With five souls right now in grievous peril, some may say any lurid discussion of the fate of the crew of the Titan submersible is in poor taste.


Nonsense.


The crew is composed of wealthy bona fide adventurers. They wipe their asses with waivers that in cold legalese warn just what happened really could happen.


They not only mock death. They court it.


They each paid up to $250,000 to secure a voyage on the Titan.


Although at least one of them had flown into outer space, they weren’t the kind of people anyone would describe as “flighty.” I’m sure they and their retainer lawyers did their due diligence and decided the result would be worth the risk.


I have a thousand questions. 


First: do you think they were wearing seatbelts? My vehicle doesn’t move until everyone is buckled up.


Another question: If they, indeed, took every precaution, how come the story doesn’t have a happy ending involving a winch and a surface crew reeling in a really, really long rope with the vulnerable sub on one end and  sweet salvation on the other.


Having a long rope solves many at-sea misfortunes.


Many people say their greatest fear is the fear of dying alone. My greatest fear is dying in a room crowded with many people. 


I think for me the worst part would be the hours and hours of small talk with perfect strangers while awaiting a rescue that may never come.


Imagine the conversations. 


The English woman would say she regretted cheating on her faithful husband. The older Australian dude would say he was sorry he missed out on his kids’ childhood. The guy most like me would repeatedly keep apologizing for the constant farts.


It’d be all me. Me. Me.


Why, I doubt Bob Dylan’s name would even come up.


Who wouldn’t prefer to die all alone? But are we ever all alone?


Homer Simpson didn’t think so. When he was being quizzed about his drinking habits, Marge asked if her hubby ever drank alone. Homer responded by asking if God counted as a person.


Yes, I’d want God for my co-pilot in any situation when death seemed imminent.


I’d thank Him for such sweet life, for the love so many of His children shared with me, and for such a laughter filled life.


I’d say I was sorry for all my sins, my sloth, gluttony and for holding to many petty grudges.


And I’d ask Him to forgive me for in a world in need of so much urgent prayer, I chose to write jocular things like this.




Subscribe to my “Use All The Crayons!” newsletter — just $5 month/$50 a year — and get all my best stuff delivered straight to your inbox!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about the Pakistani father and son passengers. I have read that the son didn’t want to go, but his father was passionate about anything Titanic related — so he want, as it was Fathers Day. I wonder how things went between them after the implosion? Or were they call killed instantly? Very sad.
Anne L. Holmes BabyBoomer.org co-founder.

Chris Rodell said...

So poignant -- and tragic. How that young man even had the fortitude to climb into that thing is remarkable. Thanks for reading, Anne!