Wednesday, January 31, 2018
A covfefe of January's best tweets
Follow me at 8days2Amish! Or don’t.
Either way, I hope you’re all ready for the Big Day. Yes, only two shopping days till Groundhog’s Day! Punxsutawney, here we come! Or not.
Have a great day!
• Astronomers calculate earth is 93,000,000 miles from sun. I stepped outside today and, I swear, it felt more like 93,000,002.
• You shouldn't be allowed to demand U.S. impose order around the globe until you can prove you can impose order on your own family.
• Trump’s repeated declarations that "deep state" is out to get him lead me to believe he runs the shallow state.
• I vow to continue saying 'Happy New Year!' right up thru July 5 when it'll become seasonally appropriate to resume saying "Merry Christmas!”
• I wonder if any of the fabled explorers ever considered naming a prominence "Moot Point" but decided the gesture would be meaningless.
• We have blankets of snow and sheets of ice. Anyone know where I can find a good slush pillow?
• So Oprah may run for prez. Has anyone bothered to ask her her party affiliation? I mean, yeah, she's wealthy, but that doesn't necessarily mean she's GOP. Right?
• I have to think giraffe parents take it far more seriously than human counterparts when they catch giraffe teenagers necking.
• The Stooges are to comedy what porn is to drama: it's still satisfying even when the plot's a little thin.
• That twilight -- a halfway point of solar illumination -- is one of my favorite words compels me to use "twi" prefix more. "I got twidrunk last night but the missus became twihomicidal when I told her I was feelin' twihorny.”
• I don't flirt with disaster. I slip something in its drink, say "Cheers!" and shove my tongue down its throat.
• The cumulative weight of the '78 Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers starting offensive line was 1,277 pounds. The five starters in those same positions today weigh 1,604 pounds. Somewhere in this calculation is a solution to world hunger.
• For many, the advent of social media means our greatest fear is no longer death. It is the fear of appearing too ordinary.
• People say "not a snowball’s chance in hell,” like they know forecast. In my hell, there will be tons of snow.
• The seemingly simple act of driving to the store for bread, milk and toilet paper would be much less stressful if only I could have the roads all to myself.
• I have read that tribes native to Arctic climes have 47 words to describe snow. I have just as many to describe farts.
• If Monica Lewinsky was a consenting adult then I guess that makes porn star Stormy Davis a really, really consenting adult.
• World will be a better place when all those scheming to find the means to an end instead worked on finding an end to the means.
• Anyone who aspires to teach the whole world to sing in perfect harmony has never spent a minute at a karaoke bar after 10 p.m.
• It’s been 2 months. Which do you think Matt's missing more? The carefree cooking segments or all that predatory sex?
• One of the things I most admire about dogs is they never pause to read a nutrition label.
• Perfect casting: Nicest guy in Hollywood (Tom Hanks) to play the nicest guy in the world (Fred Rogers).
• Beer drinkers who believe their bladders are half empty should be called pissimists.
• The name Ivanka Trump sounds like a punchline to one of the prank calls Bart makes to Moe on "The Simpsons.”
• There are 310 million people in America. That means a million-to-one-shot happens 310 times every day. Maybe today 1 will happen to you
• On the recommendation of friends, I just finished reading autobiographies of Bruce Springsteen & Ray Davies, two of my favorite rockers. Both men, composers of so much joyful music, have spent long stretches of their lives depressed. Maybe they should read my book.
• We live in corrosive, often cruel times, but I'm grateful we don't live when the phrase, "There's more than one way to skin a cat," become part of the vernacular. I don't know of even one way to efficiently skin a cat.