Tuesday, August 22, 2023

How to Make Friends


 (990 words)


This is the week I used to tell the kids one of my favorite wisdoms, one that positively rings with cheer and hopefulness.


“Remember, today you could be introduced to someone you’ve never met who is destined to become the best friend you’ll ever have.”


It’s true on the first day of school and it’s true any time you walk out your door. None of us has any idea what fate is going to shove into our path.


We look at strangers differently when we realize there’s a chance that dorky new kid in the mail room will one day be the one who’s asked to deliver the toast at your wedding and the eulogy at your funeral.


As our girls have gotten older, I’ve re-structured the advice to encompass modern predicaments.


I say, “Choose your friends on how well you’ll get along should you ever become cellmates.”


This stems in part from personal experience. It was back in 1990, and me and a buddy got tossed into the Dormont slammer for drunk & disorderly. (I was neither). We composed letters to public defenders, railed against injustice, dreamt of righteous vindication  and emerged feeling a warm kinship with Nelson Mandela, who’d been a political prisoner for 27 years


We’d been in stir for, oh, about 10 hours.


I couldn’t have asked for a better cellmate. It made us friends forever. Lifers, if you will.


I’ve never been able to make money, but I’ve always had the happy knack for knowing how to make friends.


That I’m incapable of simultaneously doing both is, to me, puzzling.



I have no doubt that many of the wealthiest men & women in America would trade their gift for making money with my gift for making friends — a deal I’d refuse without even a moment of just consideration.


(That primal scream you just heard was my wife who tends to view the whole situation with a not irrational chagrin that many years ago fell for the dude with all the friends and none of the money.)


Who can blame her?


Anyhoo, what kind of a friend would I be if I didn’t share with you what I think are the keys to making friends.


First, you could take the low-hanging fruit and go the needy friend route. These are the drama queens, the substance abusers, the fools for love.


There is a certain nobility in befriending the friendless.


But know this: It’s okay to have needy friends, but you need to understand the more needy friends you acquire the greater the risk that you are becoming someone else’s needy friend.


There’s only so much you can do to help someone else before you start hurting yourself.


Here’s a tip: Be friendly with everyone but strive for friendships with those who’ll harmonize with you through both whispers and screams.


How do you find tha person? Zero in on who’s laughing when you say something funny. You don’t have to necessarily be funny to to get people to laugh. Adam Sandler proves this every 6 months or so. Having even one person who gets your jokes is essential


I don’t believe in love at first sight. But I do believe in drinkin’ buddies at first sight.


It usually happens when someone in a position of authority says something blatantly stupid. You glance around the room to see if anyone else is alert to the fact that we’re all at the mercy of titled incompetents.


Invariably, you’ll lock eyes with someone like-minded. Approach when available and say, “I don’t know about you, but I think I’m going to need a drink or two to unpack this. Want to join me?”


I hear that’s how Cheech & Chong got their start.


Lastly, and I can’t stress this enough, the surest way to make friends is to cease being an asshole.


I know this because two of the nicest things anyone’s ever said about me were both anal in nature.


One was on my last day at my last job. It was at the Tribune-Review, July 2, 1992. I was making the rounds in the building. I ran into one of the press men and told him it was goodbye.


Without pausing for even a handshake, he said, “Well, we’re going to miss you. You’re one of the few guys in that newsroom who doesn’t behave like he has a giant stick up his ass.”


It brought tears to my eyes —not because the compliment was so well-concealed. I teared up in friendly empathy over anyone who must go through life with a giant stick up his or her ass. 


The other is a long story that I’ll brutally summarize so you can get free to start making great new friends.


I was in a minor accident where I foolishly tried to beat a monster truck through a stale yellow light. We each pulled into a nearby lot and commenced the tense incident reconstruction.


We agreed on every point until got to a key aspect about turn signals. He said his was on. I said it was not. At stake was insurance blame assignment and possibly thousands of dollars in increased premiums.


We were both adamant then he abruptly conceded. I must have been right, he said.


“Anyone can tell just by looking at you, you’re not an asshole.”


You’ll think I’m being facetious, but it is a real blessing to effortlessly not look like an asshole. 


Who would have guessed two proctological references would make such dandy credentials for close friendships?


So those are some tips on what to do if you want to make new friends or if all your current ones turn cold.


People are so sensitive these days. You just never know when something you say or post might get misinterpreted and people who once stood by you flee at the first hint of controversy.


Well, all but me. 


That’s what friends are for.



Subscribe to my “Use All The Crayons!” newsletter — just $5 month/$50 a year — and get all my best stuff delivered straight to your inbox!


No comments: